If you’re in the unfortunate situation of going through a break-up you have probably heard all sorts of ‘advice’ from well-meaning friends and family.

Family and friends are a great source of emotional and physical support when you have separated, however good legal advice is essential so you are aware of your rights and obligations. Being properly informed can help you to finalise your property affairs and come to workable arrangements for the ongoing care of your children.

In this article, we clear up some common family law fallacies and hope to provide useful information to assist you with your family law matter.

The children will spend equal time living with my ex-partner and me

Not always. The concept of equal shared parental responsibility was introduced into the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) and Family Court Act (WA) to encourage and acknowledge the benefits of shared parenting after separation.

Equal shared parental responsibility means that each parent is jointly and equally responsible for significant long-term matters concerning their children. This includes decisions about their health, welfare and education, as well as their religious and cultural upbringing.

The concept however is often misinterpreted as a ‘default’ position whereby the children will spend equal time living with each parent. Whilst the Court must consider the children spending equal or significant time with each parent, it is not a ‘given’.

The Court has an overriding obligation to consider the best interests of the children and a range of factors will influence its decision. A practical approach must be taken regarding what is realistic in terms of family dynamics, work commitments and other responsibilities. Only if equal living arrangements are practical and in the best interests of the children will they be ordered.

We both keep our separate superannuation accounts

This is not necessarily so. Superannuation is treated as property and forms part of the asset pool for consideration after a relationship breakdown.

The splitting of superannuation between married or de facto partners in all states (except presently in Western Australia) may be by court order, superannuation agreement, or included in consent orders or a financial agreement.

Various steps are involved – the parties will need to obtain information from the relevant superannuation fund, a valuation, and sound advice before a splitting arrangement can be finalised. Once the fund is split, a separate account is created and the new fund remains subject to existing superannuation laws.

Different types of funds are valued in different ways. The laws relating to superannuation splitting are complex and must be considered in the context of other non-superannuation assets in the asset pool. Comprehensive legal and financial advice is recommended when determining whether a superannuation split is appropriate.

You can’t divide your property until you get a divorce

Married couples must be separated for 12 months before getting a divorce and may commence negotiations to finalise a property settlement before a divorce being granted.

The finalisation of a divorce not only dissolves the marriage, but also triggers a 12-month limitation period within commence proceedings for a property settlement, including for spousal maintenance, must be commenced.

Separated couples who were in a de facto relationship have a 2-year timeframe, after separating, within which to commence property proceedings.

There are certain circumstances within which the court can grant permission to commence proceedings out of time.

The bread-winner should have a greater entitlement to the asset pool

Not necessarily. In addition to financial contributions, the non-financial and indirect financial contributions of a party are included in the calculus when determining a property settlement. These contributions are not given a dollar value however will be important when making a percentage adjustment to the asset pool.

Non-financial contributions are contributions considered to have assisted in increasing the asset pool. They include the care and welfare of children, management of the household and finances, and labour used to improve or conserve the home (such as renovating or landscaping). For example, a partner who stays home to raise children is considered to make an indirect financial contribution by enabling the other partner to contribute financially through his or her employment or business efforts.

For example, in the well-known case of Whiteley and Whiteley (1992) FLC 92-304, the wife’s efforts of modelling, critiquing, discussing and evaluating Brett Whiteley’s artwork were considered a significant non-financial contribution and inspiration to his financial contributions to the marriage.

Family law matters end in a court-room battle

Despite Hollywood images of ex-couples embroiled in court-room combat, most family law matters settle without the parties needing to attend the Family Court.

Commencing proceedings for the division of matrimonial or de facto property undoubtedly depletes the available assets and contributes towards the anxiety of all involved. Court should be a last resort and the Act governing legislation requires each party to make genuine efforts to resolve disagreements and participate in dispute resolution before commencing proceedings. The objectives of these ‘pre-action procedures’ are to:

  • encourage early disclosure through the exchange of information between the parties;
  • minimise the need for legal action by reaching an early settlement;
  • build a process to resolve a matter quickly and to limit costs; and
  • if proceedings are necessary, assist in their efficient management by identifying the actual issues in dispute.


It is important to be guided by expert advice when resolving your family law matters. Even if you and your ex-partner are amicable, it is wise to legally finalise your property affairs so that you can both move on with your lives.

The Court plays a very discretionary role when deciding family law matters, and the likely determination a Court would make should always be considered when negotiating and agreeing upon an out-of-court settlement.

If you or someone you know wants more information or needs help or advice, please contact us on 08 9221 5775 or email enquiries@klimekwijay.com.